How Much Does Website Hosting Cost in 2022?
Web hosting is essential to get a website online. Understanding the different elements that affect your website hosting cost will help you choose the best option.
The average web hosting cost is different for each type – the most affordable option, shared hosting, costs around ₹69–₹279/month. On the other hand, dedicated website hosting costs up to $400/month. This article will further explain the cost of the five most popular hosting types.
In addition, we will explore other website expenses, including domain registration and marketing tools.
Total Web Hosting Costs in Detail
Knowing the total of your web hosting cost helps with budgeting when making a website. The different elements that affect your web hosting cost include:
- The web hosting type. The average price for each web hosting type is different as they come with their own unique set of features, benefits, and downsides.
- The web hosting provider. There are 330,000+ web hosting providers targeting various consumers and price points. Choosing a hosting provider that suits your budget is essential.
- The length of the plan. Many web hosts offer a discounted price if you purchase for a longer subscription period.
- The features. Each hosting type has plans with different features and allocated resources. For instance, a more expensive plan usually gives you more memory and storage.
To find out different types of hosting as well as their pricing, visit our buy hosting page and see which plan suits your site best.
In the following sections, we’ll explore the average cost for five of the most popular hosting types and their features to help you choose the best web hosting plan.
Important! With a website builder, the pricing plans already include web hosting. Our website builder, Zyro, costs $2.90-$15.90/month with web hosting taken care of for you.
Shared Web Hosting
Shared hosting is the most affordable option. With shared hosting, you are using the same server as other users. All websites on the server have access to the same allocated pool of resources, including bandwidth, storage, and processing power.
On average, web hosting providers sell shared hosting packages for less than $10/month. The web hosting company you choose influences the price. Shared web hosting plans at Hostinger start at ₹69/month.
When choosing a hosting package, always check the included features. For example, our Premium Shared Hosting plan offers unlimited bandwidth and a free domain name registration for ₹149/month.
Choose the length of your subscription period wisely. Hostinger discounts shared hosting plans for clients who choose more extended subscription periods.
For instance, the Business Shared Hosting plan costs ₹279/month for 48 months. The same plan costs ₹649/month if you only pay for one month.
Usually, the cost of a web hosting plan increases when you renew. Choosing a longer subscription period provides better value for money.
Shared hosting is ideal for a personal blog or a small business site. These websites often require fewer resources and have smaller traffic potential.
However, shared hosting may not the best option for a website with huge traffic potential as it will require more dedicated resources.
- Affordable plans. The pricing plans are lower than other web hosting types.
- Beginner-friendly. An excellent option for users with limited technical knowledge.
- Great support. The shared web host will manage all the back-end tasks.
- Shared server. Sharing the same server with other users can pose performance and security risks.
- Limited resources. Unsuitable for websites that require extensive resources.
- Lack of scalability. Doesn’t offer a lot of room for your own website to grow due to its shared nature and limited resources.
WordPress hosting offers customized speed and security enhancements for better WordPress performance. This web hosting type simplifies and optimizes your WordPress website-making process.
WordPress website hosting differentiates itself from other types with WordPress-specific features, such as the one-click installer. Many hosting providers also grant their clients access to a WordPress support team.
The average cost for WordPress hosting plans is higher than shared hosting. WordPress hosting can cost up to $70/month, depending on the provider.
With Hostinger, the WordPress hosting prices start from ₹99–₹899/month. All plans come with a free secure sockets layer (SSL) certificate and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
The WordPress Starter hosting plan, for ₹199/month, is suitable for beginners. It comes with free email accounts and the WordPress multisite feature.
However, a medium-sized website can benefit more from the WordPress Pro plan. For ₹899/month, it includes a free dedicated IP.
Although WordPress is suitable for various websites, this web hosting type does not work for users who want to use different platforms.
- Specific features. Most WordPress web hosting plans include features and tools to improve performance and security.
- Automatic updates. Update your WordPress software and PHP version automatically.
- Dedicated support. Includes a dedicated expert team to help solve WordPress-related issues.
- Only for WordPress. Prevents you from building websites on different platforms using the same web hosting plan.
- Pre-installed plugins and themes. Some of the pre-installed features might not be suitable for your needs.
- Shared server. Has a higher potential for performance and security issues.
VPS Web Hosting
Virtual private server (VPS) hosting is an excellent option for high-traffic websites. It provides dedicated web hosting space and resources for each client. What you do with your own website will not affect other clients and vice versa.
VPS hosting is the go-to pick for technical users who want complete control over their server environment. Most VPS hosting providers give full root access to install your own software and operating systems.
VPS hosting prices are mainly affected by the resources assigned to the central processing unit (CPU), random access memory (RAM), and solid-state drive (SSD) storage. On average, VPS hosting costs around $20–$40/month.
Hostinger provides eight VPS hosting plans from ₹229–₹5999/month. They all include a dedicated IP and 24/7 customer support.
The VPS 2 hosting plan for ₹429/month is a great option for eCommerce and multimedia websites. However, resource-intensive websites like those that run online games will need at least the VPS 4 plan for ₹1135/month to perform better.
Hostinger offers the option to upgrade your VPS hosting plan without hassle or downtime. If you are uncertain, we recommend getting the smaller plan first.
Remember that VPS hosting requires some server management skills. Without the proper configuration, your website can be vulnerable to security threats. Choose a web hosting provider that also provides support to help manage your virtual private server.
- Complete control. Users have more control over the hosting environment.
- Suitable for traffic surges. VPS hosting handles traffic surges better than shared hosting.
- Better privacy. This hosting type secures your files and databases from other server users.
- Higher average cost. The average web hosting fees are more expensive than shared hosting.
- Steep learning curve. Users need technical knowledge to utilize VPS web hosting.
- More responsibility. Users are responsible for setting up their VPS hosting. The wrong configuration can lead to security vulnerabilities.
Cloud Web Hosting
Cloud hosting is a popular option for a large-scale project, such as an online store or a corporate website. Unlike other web hosting solutions, cloud hosting plans use multiple virtual servers to host a website – providing high uptime and excellent scalability.
A cloud hosting package is more resistant to physical hardware issues. If one server is down, another will keep the website running. Cloud hosting also handles high traffic well, using the load balancing feature to distribute visitor volume between the servers.
With a cloud hosting plan, additional resources are accessible within a few clicks. Consequently, it is easier to scale than most website hosting services.
Most web hosting companies offer cloud hosting services from $10-$100/month.
Hostinger’s cloud hosting plans start from ₹799–₹5099/month. They all include free domain registration, SSL certificate, custom email accounts, and a 30-day money-back guarantee. The higher-tier plans offer more RAM and CPU cores.
Medium-sized businesses can start with the Cloud Startup plan for ₹799/month. Once your business website gets busier and larger, the Cloud Enterprise plan for ₹5099/month is more suitable to help support the high traffic.
- High reliability. When one server fails, the website uses other servers to stay online.
- Traffic load balancing. Cloud hosting maintains website performance even when receiving higher traffic.
- Scalability. When growing your website, simply upgrade your bandwidth and storage.
- Limited control. The web host manages cloud hosting. As such, clients assume less control over their hosting environment.
- Higher average cost. The average cost to host a website on the cloud is higher than the previous options.
- Security vulnerabilities. The wrong configuration can cause security issues.
With dedicated hosting, you have an entire physical server allocated only for you. Therefore, you have complete control over your hosting environment. Customize your hosting and website in great detail, including the software, operating system, and general configurations.
The average cost of dedicated hosting is higher than other hosting types, ranging from $80-$400/month. The price varies depending on the amount of resources and software packages you require.
While its flexibility is excellent, dedicated servers require advanced technical knowledge and skills. You are responsible for maintaining your hosting security.
The two types of dedicated server hosting are:
- Managed server. This web hosting service offers professional support for solving issues.
- Unmanaged server. This type of dedicated hosting does not offer customer support. You will need to pay additional fees for support.
Dedicated hosting is an excellent option for websites that deal with heavy traffic, such as a large eCommerce marketplace or a multimedia website.
- Full control. Assume total control of the physical server.
- Flexible to your needs. Configure your hosting according to your needs.
- Suitable for heavy traffic. Lets you host large websites with heavy traffic.
- Steep learning curve. Advanced technical skills are necessary to utilize a dedicated server.
- High cost. The most expensive web hosting type.
- Full responsibility. Since it does not always include professional customer support, you are likely responsible for managing the server.
Important! Some hosting providers offer a free web hosting package. We do not recommend this hosting option for the long term. Purchasing a hosting package is better for any website type as it includes better features and functionality.
Other Costs of Owning a Website
After understanding the price of hosting a website, knowing other website costs is equally important.
Factoring in additional website elements will give a better idea of the total cost of building a website. Some of the following website elements are necessary, while others are optional.
A domain name works as an address that directs users to a website. Without a domain, users will have to enter your IP address to find your website. Having a memorable domain name is essential to the overall user experience.
The first step to buying a domain name is to find a trustworthy domain registrar. Most web hosting providers, including Hostinger, offer domain name registration. They often include free domain name registration with their hosting plans to help you save money.
A significant element affecting a domain name’s price is the top-level domain (TLD) or the domain extension.
Popular extensions, such as .com, .net, and .org, are generally more expensive. On the other hand, less known TLDs like .store and .online are often more affordable.
Additionally, the name itself can influence its price. Some of the most expensive domains have names with high branding potential. For example, business.com was once sold for $345 million.
Use a domain checker to find out a domain’s availability and cost.
Domain Name Checker
Instantly check domain name availability.
Another cost to consider is domain privacy protection. This feature protects a domain name owner’s personal information. Some registrars include domain privacy protection with your domain purchase, while others charge extra.
Hostinger offers domain privacy protection for $5/year.
An SSL certificate encrypts all data transferred between a website server and a browser. Its primary purpose is to prevent unauthorized users from accessing sensitive information. Having this certificate also helps you rank better on search engines.
Many web hosting services include a free SSL certificate to help you save money. Paid SSL has the same encryption as a free one, but it offers more features, such as a longer validity period.
The cost of a paid SSL depends on several factors, including how many domains and subdomains it covers. The average price for a single domain SSL is around $7–$860/year. On the other hand, a Wildcard SSL certificate covers multiple domains for $50–$1,000/year.
Hostinger offers affordable SSL certificates starting from a one-time fee of $11.95. The price includes top-level encryption and compliance with the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS).
Extensions enhance your overall site’s functionality, from improving security and creating a contact form to adding pop-up messages. Each website platform has its own set of extensions.
For example, WordPress uses plugins as website extensions. Some WordPress plugins are available for free, providing basic functionality. WordPress also offers premium plugins, such as WP Rocket and OptinMonster, for better features.
The cost of premium extensions varies, around $5–$50/month on average. Some premium plugins charge a one-time fee.
Another source to get website extensions is third-party marketplaces, such as CodeCanyon.
Themes help customize your website to make it more attractive and engaging. Most content management systems (CMS) provide free pre-made themes. For example, WordPress offers 8,000+ themes for various website types in its directory.
Premium themes offer more unique design features. These paid options often come with developer support and regular updates. The developers regularly check their premium themes to make sure they are working correctly.
TemplateMonster is one of the most popular marketplaces for paid themes. The price ranges from $10-$140 for a one-time payment. TemplateMonster also offers subscription plans. For $13.25/month, you can download unlimited themes and receive 24/7 support.
eCommerce websites are often more expensive than regular websites. Starting an online store requires additional features for selling products and services. The cost of eCommerce features depends on the store’s type and the number of products or services you want to sell.
The average cost for basic eCommerce features is around $15/month.
The first element to consider is the cost of your eCommerce platform. Most free eCommerce platforms like PrestaShop and WooCommerce often come with basic functionality. These platforms also offer free and premium extensions for additional features.
For example, some WooCommerce extensions are available for free, and the premium ones can go from $49-$249/year.
The main eCommerce features to consider are:
- Inventory management. Organize your inventory better with software like Zoho or Ordoro. The cost can go from free to $1000/month, depending on the number of products.
- Payment gateway. Build customer trust and encourage more visitors to buy your products or services by using a secure payment gateway. The cost of a payment gateway for an average-sized online store is between $15-$25/month.
If you are using a website builder like Zyro, the pricing plans for an online store start from $8.90-$15.90/month. These pricing plans include over 70 payment methods and shipping and tax management features.
Marketing tools are essential to expand your reach and grow your audience. Some marketing efforts, such as advertising through social media, email, or search engines, require special tools.
The pricing for marketing tools varies. On average, expect to pay $10-$150/month for each tool when starting out.
A search engine optimization (SEO) tool like Ahrefs costs around $99-$999/month, depending on your website size. SEO tools often include features for analyzing keywords, backlinks, and on-page issues.
Also, consider getting a newsletter tool for your email marketing strategies. MailChimp is an excellent tool for sending marketing emails to your subscribers. It offers a free plan to start and premium upgrades once you have more than 2,000 subscribers, starting from $11/month.
Understanding the cost of hosting a website is essential for proper budgeting.
So, how much does it cost to host a website? It depends on your hosting service type, provider, subscription period, and features.
In conclusion, here are the average web hosting prices for each type:
- Shared hosting. The most affordable hosting for small to medium-sized websites. The pricing plans for shared web hosting cost around ₹69–₹279/month.
- WordPress hosting. This web hosting service designed for WordPress websites and can cost around ₹99–₹899/month.
- VPS web hosting. The best solution for growing websites and users with technical knowledge. Our VPS pricing plans start from ₹229–₹5999/month.
- Cloud web hosting. A great, easy-to-use option for websites with heavy traffic. The pricing plans for cloud hosting cost around ₹799–₹5099/month.
- Dedicated hosting. The most expensive web hosting option, giving you complete control over your server. Advanced technical skills are necessary for managing it. Expect to pay web hosting fees of around $80-$400/month.
All Hostinger web hosting services come with 24/7 customer support and a 99.9% uptime guarantee.
In addition to web hosting, consider other costs such as a domain name, SSL certificate, extensions, themes, eCommerce features, and marketing tools. These factors influence your overall website cost.
Let us know in the comments below how much your web hosting costs.