Jun 20, 2022
Tamara J. & Tashia T.
35 Best Ways to Make Money Online in 2022
With the increasing digitization of our world, making money online has never been easier. Moreover, the COVID-19 pandemic has grown the eCommerce industry significantly. More and more people are buying and selling their products and services online.
There are many benefits to making money online. People can work from virtually anywhere with a flexible schedule and reach a global market with a low startup cost. There are also many ways to earn money online – some of which only require a computer and a solid internet connection.
If you are interested in learning how to make money online, this article is for you. We will discuss 35 online money-making ideas, including 10 quick methods and 25 strategies for long-term earnings. Without further ado, let’s begin!
Top 10 Quick Ways to Earn Money Online
An internet connection makes nearly everything accessible, regardless of location or device. If you’re looking for ways to make money immediately, consider our top picks:
- Review websites. Give feedback on people’s websites to improve their usability.
- Do voice-over work. Lend your talents to commercials, trailers, and audiobooks.
- Complete online surveys. Make extra cash by sharing your opinions.
- Try mystery shopping. Get paid to review businesses and share your experience as a customer.
- Test games and software. Provide developers with insights into their software’s user experience.
- Sell stock photos and footage. Ideal for photographers and videographers looking for a way to make passive income.
- Sell second-hand items. Declutter your home and sell used items like clothes, appliances, and vehicles.
- Sell school notes. Popular among students who want to maintain good grades while making money on the side.
- Carry out small jobs. Excellent for people with limited technical skills and free time.
- Monetize art and designs. Sell products bearing your designs or do art commissions.
Let’s take a closer look at these online money-making ideas and discuss tips to make your business successful.
1. Test Websites and Give Feedback
If you have a keen eye for website design and development, consider becoming a website tester. It’s a great way to make money quickly and immerse yourself in the web development industry.
A website tester must have critical and logical thinking skills, excellent communication abilities, and knowledge of website functionality and design. These qualities can improve your job prospects and test-reporting quality.
Payments are usually project-based, and the rates differ based on the testing methods and the platform’s policy.
For example, UserTesting offers $4–$120/test. Website testers who perform live conversation sessions with clients make more money.
Here are a few other marketplaces where people can make money online via website testing projects:
- Ubertesters. A crowdsourced testing service focusing on websites, mobile apps, and games.
- Userbrain. An online tool offering user experience testing for websites and digital product prototypes.
- Testbirds. User experience testing for digital products, including eCommerce stores, mobile apps, and fitness trackers.
- Userlytics. In addition to testing websites and apps, it offers projects focusing on reviewing video commercials.
- TryMyUI. Provides impression testing for websites and mobile apps via recorded videos and survey-based feedback.
2. Do Voice-Over Work
Voice-over work is an excellent way to make money fast. Since most voice-over jobs are project-based, a long-term commitment isn’t required.
Companies are always looking for new voice-over talents. Here are a few examples of how to use your voice to make good money:
- Audiobooks. Help bring a story to life by narrating various types of books, including novels, biographies, and essay collections.
- Advertisements and commercials. Ads with voice-overs are still a popular way for companies to market their products and services.
- Trailers. Movies, shows, and even events create trailers to build anticipation.
- Demonstration videos. Some companies create how-to videos and hire voice-over talents to help demo their products.
- Guides. Audio guides are used by museums, galleries, travel agencies, and tourist destinations to enhance the visitor experience.
How much you earn from voice-over projects depends on your experience, the project’s type, and the script’s length. In the United States, the average salary of voice-over artists is around $30/hour.
On the other hand, audiobook voice talents can earn up to $125/recording hour and $500/finished hour – the latter referring to a book’s reading time.
One of the easiest ways to get started is by creating a profile on Upwork and responding directly to voice-over job ads. Joining freelance websites is an excellent way to test the waters and compare available jobs.
A good voice-over talent is flexible, dynamic, and can bring a script to life no matter the topic. With audiobooks, for instance, a consistent narrative voice, excellent articulation skills, and the ability to voice different characters are crucial to master.
To prepare for voice-over work, try sample scripts and see which niche fits your voice and style the best. Knowing your strengths will help market your services to the right clients.
Since producing high-quality audio is crucial for this job, investing in a good microphone and recording software are a must. Also, try to minimize background noise when recording audio samples.
3. Complete Online Surveys
It might sound too good to be true, but you can earn extra cash by completing surveys online.
Many companies pay people to participate in surveys for general market research and consumer behavior analysis. These surveys help companies make business decisions, like what types of products to launch or where to publish advertisements.
However, not everyone can do online surveys. Take a look at some of the reasons why:
- Limited demographic. Some surveys only target specific groups of people, such as their gender, age, or occupation.
- Low pay. Many online survey sites use a point system. You’ll accumulate points after completing surveys and can only cash out after reaching a certain earnings threshold. For example, you can make money for $0.50-$3/survey. However, unless you reach the earnings threshold of $10-25, you won’t be able to cash out.
- Time-consuming. Due to the payout systems of most survey sites, you’ll have to dedicate a lot of time to see real returns. Some surveys can take up to one hour to complete.
- Not for the long-term. Unlike other online moneymaking methods in this article, you won’t be able to transition this into a full-time job for the above reasons.
If the drawbacks don’t phase you, here are some popular survey sites:
- Swagbucks. Watch videos, play games, and complete online surveys to earn points. Then, redeem them for cash or gift cards.
- Survey Junkie. Help brands deliver better products and services by participating in their market surveys.
- Harris Poll Online. Enter a rewards program by answering polls run by this survey platform.
4. Try Mystery Shopping
If you love shopping, becoming a mystery shopper is an excellent way to make extra money.
Retailers and market research companies hire mystery shoppers to shop at specific locations and report on the overall consumer experience. They monitor customer service, store conditions, and product quality without the company’s employees knowing they’re being examined.
You can do some mystery shopping work remotely. For example, some jobs involve testing the service quality at call centers or evaluating the shopping experience at an online retailer.
Here are some of the most popular companies where people can sign up to be mystery shoppers:
- Market Force. Get hired by grocery stores, restaurants, pharmacies, and even gas station convenience shops to try out their products and services.
- BestMark. Become a field representative or evaluator to help companies improve their business operations.
- Secret Shopper. Perform on-site or phone service evaluations for companies all over the world.
Payments for mystery shoppers vary depending on the company. For each job completed, you can get reimbursed for the items you purchased, receive vouchers and gift cards, or earn between $10–$25 on average.
To avoid scams, remember that you should never pay to become a mystery shopper. Since you would be an independent contractor, companies can’t force you to take on a certain number of mystery shopper jobs.
5. Test Games and Apps
In 2021, the video game industry was worth $178.73 billion – an increase of 14.4% from 2020.
Video games also hold the largest share in the global digital media market. As a result, many opportunities have appeared for users to make money online by testing games and other apps.
Some games or apps, like Mistplay, require players to perform specific tasks and collect in-game currency rewards. These rewards can be redeemed as gift cards or real-world money.
Beware of platforms that use these games and apps as a front for scams to steal personal information and bank account details. While they provide an easy way to make money online, be sure to check reviews and ensure their legitimacy beforehand.
6. Sell Stock Photos and Footage
If you’re an avid photographer or videographer, consider selling stock photos and footage to generate a passive income. You’ll be able to practice your passion and make money simultaneously.
Many companies and business owners use stock content in their marketing campaigns, ads, and websites. In addition to the standard stock photo format, companies constantly look for fresh ideas and unique perspectives to make their brand stand out.
You can make a photography website and sell photos there. It’s also a good idea to sign up for online marketplaces and list your digital downloads. That way, you’ll get a head start at cultivating your personal brand while promoting it to potential buyers.
Some of the biggest stock photography and videography websites include:
- Shutterstock. Offers multiple earning levels based on the number of image and video licenses per year.
- Getty Images. Pays at a royalty rate of 15-45% depending on the license exclusivity agreement.
- VideoHive. Deals in stock videos and photos as part of the larger Envato ecosystem. The earnings depend on the number of items sold and whether you sell exclusively on the platform.
- Dissolve. Specializes in selling high-quality stock videos and photos, with a standard royalty rate of 30% of the net selling price for non-exclusive contributors. Exclusive contributors can make more money with rates that are available upon request.
7. Sell Second-Hand Items
Selling or renting out second-hand items is another excellent way to make money and a great motivation to start decluttering your space.
Once you inventory the items you want to sell, take high-quality product photos before listing them on online marketplaces. If you plan to do this long-term, consider making a website to host your own online store.
One of the most popular second-hand items categories is clothing. The market value of the second-hand clothing industry is projected to reach $77 billion by 2026. It’s a good time to start your own clothing line.
Many online marketplaces are catering to the second-hand clothing and accessories market. Here are a few examples:
- Tradesy. Specializes in women’s clothing, bags, shoes, and accessories.
- Etsy. An excellent marketplace to sell unique, handmade, and vintage items.
- Rebelle. Sell clothes and accessories at this second-hand luxury online retailer.
- Depop. A popular platform for selling vintage and designer goods, like pre-loved t-shirts, sneakers, and jewelry.
Other than clothes and accessories, make money online by selling other used items such as furniture, gadgets, sports equipment, and cars. In the United States, the used car market grew significantly in 2021 and is predicted to remain strong in 2022.
Some of the best online selling sites for used items include:
- eBay. A popular choice for various types of products, including collectibles and vehicles.
- Gadget Salvation. Focuses on used gadgets like laptops, phones, and tablets.
- Facebook Marketplace. Ideal for targeting local buyers.
- Reverb. An excellent site to sell musical instruments and gear.
- Fat Llama. A marketplace for leasing items instead of selling them.
8. Sell School Notes
Selling copies of school notes is one of the easiest ways for students to make money fast.
However, make sure you aren’t committing plagiarism or academic misconduct by selling school notes. For example, do not disclose assignments or tests and avoid distributing copyrighted material.
The safest bet is to sell notes containing general but insightful information about a subject, such as modules, flashcards, and study guides. Be careful not to present your notes as facts since they are supplementary study documents.
Aside from student or alumni message boards and community forums, here are some of the best places to make money online by selling school notes:
- Nexus Notes. They offer a 50% commission per notes sale.
- NoteXchange. Sell notes for $5-$40 and earn a 100% commission if you become an affiliate.
- Notesgen. With over 5.5 million users, this India-based platform accepts handwritten notes and presentation slides. Study notes go for ₹100-₹1000.
- OneClass. Earn up to 20% of recurring revenue when someone subscribes to your content, with each subscription costing around $1.8-$24.
9. Carry Out Micro Jobs
To make extra money, try micro jobs. A micro job is a short-term, temporary job that pays per task completed. Earnings vary from a few cents to $50/task on average.
Micro jobs are a good way to make money fast. Some micro jobs only take less than an hour to complete, giving people the freedom to do multiple tasks in their spare time.
They’re great for freelancers, new graduates, and college students because they can help you gain experience and build a portfolio. The most common online micro jobs include blogging, short translations, data entry, and administrative tasks.
In addition to checking out local classifieds, try finding micro jobs on these websites:
- Fiverr. One of the most popular platforms for various small jobs, from logo designing to translations.
- Amazon Mechanical Turk. An excellent platform for people with video, image, and data entry and processing skills.
- Appen. Make money online by doing small tasks like transcribing or categorizing data.
10. Sell Art and Designs
Selling digital products is one of the best ways for artists to make money.
Alternatively, sell artwork and designs independently via another sales channel like social media. Facebook had over 2 billion monthly active users, while Instagram had over 1 billion as of January 2022. Such numbers make these platforms great for increasing exposure.
Selling on social media is a good way to make money fast, especially if you promote your art on specific networks.
For example, start selling on the Facebook Marketplace and promote products by joining groups and interacting with potential buyers. Alternatively, sell via Instagram by activating the Instagram Shopping feature on a profile specifically dedicated to your artwork.
Improve your sales by posting your artwork often, creating engaging captions, utilizing hashtags, interacting with bigger accounts, and following users with similar interests.
If you choose a marketplace like ArtStation, earning up to 95% from sales is possible. On the other hand, selling on your own social media profiles lets you keep up to 100% of the profit.
Top 25 Long-Term Strategies on How to Make Money Online
Now that we’ve covered some of the best short-term ways to make extra cash, it’s time to explore several long-term strategies to earn money online.
Unlike the previous section, the money-making ideas in the following list require some initial investment of time, and in some cases, money. Even so, they are worth considering if you want to expand your skills and work portfolio.
1. Make Money Blogging
Blogging is an excellent way for avid writers to earn a source of income. Many people start a blog to share insights, express views, and establish brands. Some popular blogs are Say Yes and Anywhere We Roam.
The most common ways to make money blogging are through advertising, affiliate marketing, brand sponsorships, and selling products.
To have a profitable blog, find a niche and build your audience by consistently posting content. Implementing successful marketing and search engine optimization (SEO) strategies is also important.
2. Join an Affiliate Program
Joining an affiliate marketing program is another excellent way to make money online.
Earn a commission as an affiliate by promoting products, services, or businesses on multiple platforms. You’ll get a percentage of the profit when someone clicks on an affiliate link and completes a purchase.
Bloggers can make hundreds to tens of thousands of dollars through affiliate marketing. The exact earnings will depend on the number of affiliate programs they’re a part of and the blog’s readership size.
Make sure to join affiliate marketing programs that are suitable for your niche. For instance, if you have a blog dedicated to computers and technology, consider becoming a Hostinger affiliate.
Here are some of the most profitable affiliate programs to make money from:
- Amazon Associates. One of the biggest affiliate networks offering up to 20% commission rates.
- BeRush. An excellent option for content marketers as this program offers a $200 flat commission rate for every Semrush sale.
- CJ Affiliate. A popular choice for affiliates with established platforms who wish to work with large and reputable brands.
- eBay Partner Network. A good starting point for all affiliate niches and levels, with rates ranging from 1-4%.
- Tripadvisor Affiliate Program. Perfect for affiliates within the travel industry. It offers publishers at least 50% of the commission received from its hotel booking partners.
- GetResponse Affiliate Programs. A platform offering one-time and recurring commissions for affiliates in the marketing niche.
Like any other business model, affiliate marketing requires trial and error. Some of the biggest mistakes to avoid in affiliate marketing are choosing the wrong niche, producing poor-quality content, and ignoring website performance.
If you are a business owner who wants to create an affiliate marketing program easily, consider using AffiliateWP. This WordPress plugin has handy features for affiliate management, such as an admin dashboard, real-time reporting, an integrated payouts service, and customizable emails.
3. Build an eCommerce Website
Selling products online is one of the best ways to make money. More and more brick-and-mortar stores are turning to eCommerce due to its advantages.
Besides having a broader market reach, eCommerce stores require lower startup costs. For example, you’ll be able to save money on operational expenses since you won’t need different retail locations.
Thanks to the popularity of eCommerce platforms, creating an online store has never been easier. Picking the right platform is crucial because it will affect you and your customers’ overall experience.
Here’s a compilation of the four best eCommerce platforms for building your own online store:
- Zyro. A beginner-friendly website builder offering free themes and numerous AI-powered tools to assist business operations.
- WooCommerce. An open-source platform built for WordPress, WooCommerce provides all the necessary site functions to create your dream store.
- PrestaShop. This eCommerce software offers robust product management and analytics tools.
- Shopify. A popular option to create online business websites with built-in abandoned cart recovery and SEO tools.
When formulating a business plan, consider factors such as inventory, warehousing, packaging, and shipping.
Depending on your business model and operating locations, you may also need a business license. These may include registration certificates, local and federal permits, and a sales tax permit.
4. Open a Dropshipping Store
Dropshipping is a B2C business model where people sell products via an online store using a third-party supplier to process and fulfill orders.
It’s easier than running a standard eCommerce store since opening a dropshipping store doesn’t involve the hassle of dealing with inventory and shipping.
Starting a dropshipping store is similar to creating a regular online store – it involves choosing a niche and an eCommerce platform. The main difference is that dropshippers have to find the perfect supplier, too. In other words, supplier quality can make or break the business.
To help you get started, here are some websites that help you connect with reliable suppliers:
- Spocket. Choose from thousands of suppliers worldwide and enjoy easy integration with platforms like WooCommerce and Shopify.
- Modalyst. Curate your online store with products from different global suppliers and use the platform’s profit calculator to set prices.
- SaleHoo. Browse through thousands of vetted suppliers in different product categories and explore its community forum for dropshipping tips and tricks.
5. Create an Online Course
The global eLearning market is projected to reach $336.98 billion by 2026. If you excel in a particular subject and enjoy curating learning material, it’s an excellent time to enter the online course market.
Digital courses come in different formats, from simple PDF downloads to videos. Popular online course topics include computer skills, health and wellness, business and entrepreneurship, finance and investing, and personal development.
There are two main ways to make money online by selling digital courses – by joining an eLearning platform or creating an eLearning website. The former is easier to do, but the latter provides more opportunities to experiment with different formats and monetization methods.
You can create an eLearning website with a WordPress LMS plugin. Then, sell online courses as digital products or create a membership system to lock them behind a paywall.
If you want to try out a few eLearning platforms before creating an eLearning site, consider the following:
- Udemy. Provides courses, quizzes, coding exercises, and discussion forums on various topics.
- Skillshare. Excellent for selling courses on digital art and creative skills.
- Teachable. Create unlimited courses using any of its paid plans. Creators can also apply to have their courses and live events featured on Spotlight, an eLearning marketplace powered by Teachable and Hotmart.
- Podia. A platform for selling online courses, digital downloads, and membership subscriptions. Users can create standalone or drip courses. They can also group similar courses and market them as a bundle.
- Pathwright. A design, teaching, and learning platform for creating courses emphasizing active learning through actionable steps.
6. Tutor Students Online
If selling digital courses isn’t your thing, but you’re still interested in teaching, consider becoming an online tutor.
Many students today actively look for remote lessons. Independent tutors often offer their services via video communication apps like Zoom and Skype and accept payments via PayPal.
Make money by giving on-demand lessons and providing personalized feedback. You will create lesson plans, learning modules, and keep track of the student’s progress.
Make sure to evaluate your expertise when choosing a topic to teach. Popular tutoring subjects include math, languages, and computer science.
Consider obtaining certification to enhance your credibility as an online tutor and improve rates. And before giving live lessons, set up a strong internet connection to ensure smooth video communication.
When ready, create a website or join an online tutoring platform to promote your services. Here are four popular platforms for people interested in the online tutoring business:
- Skooli. Schedule lessons in advance or accept them whenever you’re online.
- TutorMe. Connects students with tutors based on their needs and preferences.
- Tutor.com. Offers tutors based in the United States the opportunity to teach 250+ subjects to students of varying ages and education levels.
- Preply. Teach different languages and set custom rates for your services.
7. Create a Membership Site
Creating a membership website is another excellent way of making money online on a self-made platform.
Membership sites make money by selling access to exclusive content through subscription plans. With a tiered membership system, you can divide members’ privileges and determine which content they can access.
The subscription system creates a steady revenue stream as members have to renew their plans to maintain access privileges.
If you’re building a brand, a membership site can help foster a potential customer base for upselling.
When creating your own site, find inspiration from various niche membership websites. For example, Mark Manson and Magnetic Memory Method focus on self-improvement. Meanwhile, Smart Blogger offers tips on blogging and content writing.
After finding a niche that suits your interests, start developing the membership website. The easiest way to do this is with WordPress. Many useful membership plugins offer the tools necessary to create plans and accept transactions online.
8. Sell Advertising Space
Selling digital advertising space is one of the most common ways to monetize a website and earn passive income. The advertising revenue is measured based on clicks or user impressions. The more clicks you get, the more money you’ll make.
Advertisers consider a website’s content category, audience demographics, and user devices before buying a space. So, dedicating time to creating quality content and improving SEO strategies is vital.
Don’t oversaturate the site when choosing ad placements – this can negatively affect user experience. Instead, use a heatmap software tool to determine the best ad placement locations for optimal conversions.
Here are some other advertising networks you can sign up for:
- Adcash. Use an anti-block feature to bypass users’ ad blockers and obtain higher earnings.
- PropellerAds. Supports multiple ad formats, including interstitials and push notifications.
- Media.net. Get exclusive access to the Yahoo! Bing network for keyword-targeted ads.
- Carbon. A great option for technology and design-based ads.
9. Create a Subscription Job Board
With more employers turning to online hiring, job boards have fantastic market potential.
There are two main ways to make money online with a virtual job board. The first is to rent out space for employers to advertise their job listings. The second is to sell access to exclusive job listings to job seekers via a paid membership system.
Popular job board websites like Indeed, Glassdoor, and ZipRecruiter charge employers for premium job post placements. Most of these sites base their pricing plans on factors such as posting period, in-depth company information, or reviews.
The easiest way to create this type of website is with a WordPress job board plugin. For example, WP Job Manager offers tools seamlessly submit and manage job listings. Consider installing a membership plugin if you want to restrict access to job postings.
10. Buy and Flip Websites
The process of buying and selling websites is relatively simple. After purchasing a site, optimize its content for search engines, generate revenue, and sell it for a profit.
It’s an ideal money-making project for anyone who enjoys website design, improving SEO, and curating a great user experience.
Not all websites have future value, so knowing which ones to buy and invest time in is essential. A good rule of thumb is picking the ones already generating revenue and traffic. Moreover, websites with a popular niche and a premium domain name are easier to sell at higher prices.
Here are a few marketplaces for finding websites to purchase:
- Flippa. Offers a wide range of niche websites with a global network of buyers and sellers.
- Latona’s. Promotes websites and online stores no younger than a year and with a minimum annual revenue of $20,000.
- Empire Flippers. Sells profitable websites with a wide range of monthly revenues, from hundreds to hundreds of thousands of dollars.
- SideProjectors. A platform to buy and sell digital projects like websites, eCommerce stores, apps, and domain names.
There are some factors to consider to avoid making a bad website investment.
The first is to ask for a proof of concept, revenue report, and the site’s current monetization methods. Then, check the volume and source of its traffic. These are good indicators of a website’s potential.
It’s also a good idea to ask about existing site issues and verify why the original website owner is selling it in the first place. Finally, double-check the seller’s background and avoid buying sites from anonymous brokers.
11. Start a YouTube Channel
Running a YouTube channel is a popular way to make money online. As the largest video-sharing platform worldwide, it has an audience of over 2 billion monthly active users.
There are multiple ways to earn money from a YouTube channel. The first step involves signing up for the YouTube Partner Program and ensuring you’re eligible for monetization.
YouTube allows many types of niche video content, from gaming reactions to daily vlogs.
To grow a YouTube channel, you must publish content consistently to generate traffic and build an audience base. Investing in a good camera and editing software can improve video quality and attract more viewers.
Don’t forget to practice YouTube SEO. This includes adding relevant keywords and tags to the video titles and optimizing video descriptions for search engines.
Aside from being a great way to make money online, starting a YouTube channel can benefit a brand. YouTube videos can generate leads and help redirect traffic to your website. They also have a better return on investment than images, making them a great marketing tool.
12. Apply for Freelance Jobs
Freelancing is a great way to make money at your own pace. You have the power to choose clients, set your own hours, and determine your rate.
You can offer all kinds of freelance services. Some of the most in-demand freelance skills include web design and development, translating, accounting, and video production.
To get started, sign up on some of these freelance websites and start scouting for gigs:
- Upwork. Focuses on large projects requiring freelancers with specific skills.
- Freelancer. Provides 1,800+ categories of freelance work opportunities.
- Guru. Offers projects from individuals or small to middle-sized businesses.
Make an online portfolio to supplement your profile on job marketplaces and improve your chances of landing high-paying projects.
Finally, make sure that your pricing structure aligns with the time and effort required to finish each project.
13. Become a Website Developer
The average base salary of a freelance web developer is around $72,000/year. Moreover, the employment of digital designers and web developers is projected to grow by 13% between 2020 and 2030. So, now is a great time to jump into the industry.
The first step to becoming a web developer is to choose a web development specialization. Doing so will save you time, money, and energy and help you stand out from the competition.
After choosing a specialization to pursue, learn how to code. Plenty of websites and courses can help you get started:
- BitDegree. Offers beginner and advanced courses, as well as scholarship opportunities.
- Coursera. Partners with 200+ universities and companies to provide certified courses and specializations.
- Codecademy. Perfect for beginners who want short and interactive courses.
- Udemy. Choose from a wide range of on-demand courses in many languages.
14. Become a Graphic Designer
An average base salary of around $58,000/year makes graphic design another high-paying career worth pursuing. For creative individuals, it’s an excellent way of making money online.
The career path of a graphic designer is similar to a web developer. After choosing a specialization, the next step is to learn the required skills. Many design courses are available on various eLearning platforms to help you get started.
For example, a web designer must study user experience, user interface, and the basics of HTML and CSS. Meanwhile, a logo designer should master color theory, typography, and design tools like Adobe Illustrator and CorelDRAW.
Here are some of the best sites to make money online via graphic design gigs:
- DesignCrowd. Offers a wide range of projects, from logo and website to billboard design.
- Minty. Ideal for skilled artists looking for design projects with automatically generated contracts.
- We Work Remotely. Find different types of remote design jobs.
- 99designs. Provides high-quality graphic design services in numerous categories, such as websites and apps, clothing and merchandise, as well as business and advertising.
15. Become a Content Writer
For those with a knack for writing, becoming a content writer is one of the best ways to earn money online. Content writing makes for a profitable side gig or full-time remote work with an average pay of around $64,000/year.
In addition to writing skills, this career path may require SEO knowledge. Knowing the basics of HTML and CSS can also help format your writing, especially when working with a content management system (CMS) like WordPress.
Many content writers have websites to showcase their writing skills and work portfolios. If your blog takes off, it’s also possible to make money online by monetizing it.
Try your luck on job boards like Fiverr and Freelancer where tons of freelance content writing gigs are available. Alternatively, join a content writing agency to get steady work opportunities.
Some of the best content writing agencies to work with are:
- Verblio. Provides all kinds of content types, from blog posts to press releases.
- SEOButler. Seeks freelance writers based in the US and UK.
- Express Writers. Hires writers and editors to work with a massive network of clients worldwide.
- Textbroker. Offers gigs to write unique custom content with free registration, flexible time management, and weekly payments for US citizens.
16. Become a Video Game Streamer
Streaming has taken off in the past few years, generating an average of around 2.5 million weekly viewers on Twitch alone. It’s an ideal way to make money online if you’re good at playing games and enjoy being in front of a camera.
Streaming platforms like Twitch, YouTube, and Facebook offer partner programs, allowing streamers to accept ad revenue and tips from their audience. Video game streamers can also earn money from brand deals, sponsorships, and merchandise sales.
17. Become an Influencer
The continuous rise of social media has made influencer marketing a popular choice to make money online.
Like affiliate marketing, companies pay influencers with large followings to market their products and services. The main difference is influencers aim to impact people’s buying decisions instead of simply bringing leads.
Like streamers, how much money influencers make significantly depends on their following.
The most critical aspects of being a profitable influencer are cultivating a personal brand and becoming an authoritative voice within your niche. This will help attract sponsors and advertisers.
Although many influencers are on Instagram, you can take advantage of other platforms like YouTube and Twitter to build a following and create different types of content. Learn which content types work best for each platform. The social media platform TikTok, for example, is excellent for people who want to create viral videos.
18. Offer Digital Marketing Services
Help business owners attract their target audiences and improve sales performance by offering marketing services. These services may include SEO strategies and social media management.
It’s a great way to make money if you’re already familiar with these concepts or want to develop your skills further.
SEO services can help sites rank higher on search engine results pages (SERP), receive more traffic, and generate leads. You must have SEO skills like link building and keyword research to offer these services.
On the other hand, providing social media management services means planning and executing marketing plans on various social platforms. These activities encourage better audience interaction and higher brand recognition.
An excellent social media manager should keep up with trends, identify a brand’s target audience, and track social media data for better results.
When you’re ready to monetize your skills, offer your services on job marketplaces like Fiverr and Freelancer. Consider applying to a marketing agency as a digital marketer for a long-term career in this field.
19. Create an App
Creating an app is one of the best ways to profit from rapid mobile digitalization. Make money online by creating paid apps or selling them to other companies. Alternatively, launch a free app and make money via in-app advertisements.
Creating an app as a side-hustle is also an excellent way to hone your coding and web development skills.
For those with little to no coding experience, there are many beginner-friendly mobile app builders:
- Appy Pie. This app builder employs a simple three-step process to help you create an app with a great user experience. The pricing ranges from $16–$60/app per month.
- AppInstitute. This app builder for busy small business owners makes it easy to create mobile apps without coding knowledge. Pricing ranges from $59-$340/month.
- Mobincube. An intuitive app builder for launching an app in four easy steps. It offers a free plan in addition to the paid ones. Premium pricing ranges from €35.88-€1,199.88/year.
Here are the steps to create an app:
- Get inspired. Consider creating surveys, conducting interviews, or running a focus group discussion to find out what is missing on the market.
- Conduct competitor research. Search existing competitor apps and read their reviews. Take note of what users like and dislike about them.
- Start building. Start coding or use an app builder.
- Launch. Submit your app to the App Store or Google Play Store and await approval.
- Market and monetize. Practice marketing strategies and start making money online.
20. Create a Podcast
Starting a podcast is one of the most profitable online business ideas. The number of global podcast listeners has increased steadily over the past few years. It’s projected to reach over 500 million listeners by 2024.
A laptop or a device with a built-in microphone is enough to start a podcast. However, we recommend investing in good audio equipment and software to improve recording quality.
All you need is a topic to talk about and engaging communication skills. You can make a podcast about any topic, from financial tips to true crime.
Most podcasts primarily make money from sponsorships. Once your podcast has attracted a following, consider signing up for production agencies like Podfly or Pacific Content to grow your brand, quality, and audience reach.
21. Become a Travel Consultant
Border restrictions are easing up, and people are starting to travel again. The tourism industry is surging, resulting in higher demand for travel consultants.
Travel consultants curate the ideal travel experience for individuals and businesses. This job is fantastic for well-traveled individuals or locals who love sharing the best spots in town to make money online. However, you can also do this job remotely.
The average base salary for a travel consultant is around $78,000/year in the United States. The job’s benefits include a flexible working schedule and opportunities to travel.
Start your career by getting familiar with popular travel management software tools. Additionally, consider taking tourism, hospitality, or foreign language courses to improve your credibility.
Promote your services on your own website. Take inspiration from consultants like Wanderlust Travel Consultants and TravelBoecker Adventures. Alternatively, sign up to become a travel consultant or trip designer on platforms like Reco.
22. Publish eBooks
The rise of self-publishing has made it possible for anyone to publish eBooks. It’s an excellent option for beginners since there are no printing or shipping costs.
To publish an eBook, submit your writing to a self-publishing platform. There are two types of publishing companies – retailers and aggregators. Retailers sell books directly to customers, whereas aggregators distribute them to retailers at additional costs.
The revenue you generate from eBooks depends on the publishing company’s royalty policy. For example, Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing pays up to 70% royalties for books sold on the Kindle store.
Here are other eBook publishers along with their royalty rates:
- Barnes & Noble Press. Provides a 70% royalty rate for eBook sales.
- Kobo Writing Life. Gives authors 70% of the book’s list price, provided the book is $2.99 or higher.
- Apple Books for Authors. Offers writers 70% royalties for eBook sales regardless of the cost.
- Smashwords. The world’s largest indie eBook distributor, charging a 10% commission when selling to other retailers and libraries and 15-18.5% when selling on their website.
- Draft2Digital. Lets authors earn 60% royalties of their eBooks’ list price.
Before self-publishing an eBook, don’t forget to thoroughly check for any formatting issues, typos, and grammatical errors. Also, consider hiring a graphic designer to help create an appealing eBook cover.
23. Start Email Marketing Campaigns
The number of email users is projected to surpass 4.5 billion in 2025. Email marketing has become a powerful tool to generate leads and turn audiences into customers.
The key to executing a successful email marketing campaign is to build a quality email list. If you have your own website, add a pop-up form with a personalized call-to-action button on the landing page.
Other methods to encourage email subscriptions are discounts, free shipping, giveaways, and pop-up surveys. The goal is to cultivate anticipation for your email updates.
If your website runs on WordPress, try installing a newsletter plugin for better email automation and a more straightforward email-building process. Lastly, consider conducting periodical A/B testing to determine the best email strategies.
24. Become a Virtual Assistant
If you enjoy organizing, planning, or doing administrative tasks, becoming a virtual assistant is a great way to make money online. A virtual assistant provides support services for individual clients or businesses.
Many virtual assistants are independent contractors. Besides being free to work remotely, becoming a virtual assistant requires minimal startup costs. Plus, you can earn an average annual pay of around $58,000/year.
Some skills to master as a virtual assistant include communication, time management, and writing.
Knowing how to operate online tools and software for bookkeeping and project management is also essential. Virtual assistants often use popular platforms, including Google Drive, QuickBooks, and Asana.
The easiest way to market your services is through online platforms like Fiverr and Freelancer. Alternatively, sign up for a virtual assistant company and make money by working with verified clients.
25. Invest in Stocks
Becoming a stock investor is a great way to make passive income. Start by purchasing a share in a company and selling it once its value increases.
It can be tricky in the beginning. Fortunately, many blogs, podcasts, and YouTube channels offer trading advice. They often provide insights, tips, and tricks about stock trading strategies.
The easiest way to buy stocks is through an online stockbroker facilitating transactions. Here are some top picks:
- E*TRADE. Ideal for long-term investors looking for a zero minimum deposit.
- TD Ameritrade. A commission-free trading platform with excellent customer support.
- Fidelity Investments. Provides fractional shares – enabling investors with limited capital to participate in the stock market.
- Charles Schwab. Offers a wide range of investment products, including international stocks and exchange-traded funds.
How to Choose the Best Way to Make Money Online
After learning all of the ways on how to make money online, it’s time to narrow down your options.
Realistically, most people can’t tackle more than three choices. To help you make a decision, evaluate the following factors:
- Effort. Consider the time you’ll spend setting up and exploring the new venture and whether you have the required skills or experience.
- Cost. Estimate whether you have the budget to start the online business.
- Interest. Don’t choose an idea just because it seems like an easy way to make money fast. It’s important to opt for a venture you are genuinely interested in.
- Potential. Recognize the monetary potential of the chosen idea and whether it can be profitable in the long run.
In this article, we covered several ways of making money online. There are plenty of money-making ideas, so pick the most suitable one according to your financial situation, skills, and passion.
If you want to sell online, consider starting an online store. If you have a limited budget, auction second-hand clothes, self-made designs, and stock photos. Alternatively, make money by adopting the dropshipping business model by sourcing products from a third-party supplier.
Professionals who want to monetize their skills can offer tutoring services and online courses. Web development, graphic design, content writing, and SEO are a few skills with high employment and salary rates.
Since not everyone can commit to a full-time job, freelance gigs may suit your preferences better. Try voice-over work, start a podcast, or become a streamer if you love engaging with an audience.
Alternatively, experiment with blogging and monetize the website with ads to generate passive revenue.
Now that you’ve learned how to make money online, get ready to work hard and reach your goals. Good luck!