Jan 20, 2023
Top 40 Web Development Companies for 2023: Reviews, Services, Pricing, and Key Clients
A website can improve a business’s online presence and credibility, but the development process can be intimidating. Therefore, hiring a web development company can be a great option.
A development company’s teams usually consist of experienced project managers, business analysts, designers, and web developers that are on top of the latest trends, tools, and techniques, helping you build a traffic-worthy and up-to-date website efficiently. Many can even create a unique, award-winning web design that makes your site stand out.
This article compiles a list of the most popular web development companies to help you decide which one works the best for you and your projects.
Top Web Development Companies for 2023
Here are the 40 top website development companies to help you find a suitable one for your needs:
- Key clients: Cox Communications, Dr. Dabber Experience, Brainbox AI
- Best for: companies needing outstanding web design
- Services: web design, branding, content creation
Locomotive is an award-winning agency. Awwwards voted this firm as the Agency of the Year for four consecutive years, not to mention recognitions from other institutions like Boomerang and CSSDA.
This Canada-based branding and web development agency has worked with various industries, from beauty to transportation. Each has unique website features, such as integrating VR technology for a geographical website and advanced filtering settings for a Canadian maple syrup marketplace.
2. Hello Monday
- Key clients: YouTube, Google Cloud, NASA
- Best for: companies looking for a trustworthy agency with a great client history
- Services: web development, branding
Hello Monday has loyal and well-known clients, such as YouTube’s Go, Game, and Google’s Kids Space. It has helped clients build beautiful websites with up-to-date technology and design trends, such as machine learning, augmented reality, and motion design.
Besides big clients, Hello Monday has gained many awards from Webby Awards, Creative Circle Awards, and Eurobest. In 2021, for example, it received the Site of The Year from Awwwards for its Star Atlas project.
3. Bowen Media
- Key clients: Outletics, Basic Resources, RCM Insurance
- Best for: companies looking for a full web development package
- Services: branding, web design, digital marketing, creative strategy
Bowen Media is one of the top web solutions. It covers various content management systems (CMS) and provides additional services, from web design to maintenance. This agency also has different clients, from startups to enterprises from multiple sectors.
To adapt to your needs, Bowen Media offers three working models – an ongoing partnership, project-based, and consulting.
- Key clients: Visa, Lidl, Schwarzkopf
- Best for: companies looking for a one-stop digital solution
- Services: web development and design, graphic design, digital marketing
- Cost: starting at $2,000/project
PopArt Studio is one of the top development firms for taking care of your whole digital strategy. In addition to web development services, this company provides graphic design and digital marketing solutions, including search engine optimization (SEO) and PPC advertising.
The agency has tiered website packages, depending on the size and complexity. For instance, a simple WordPress website starts from $2,000, while eCommerce development can cost $7,000 or more. PopArt Studio also lets you hire professional web developers or web designers starting from $35 to $100/hour.
- Key clients: Apache Casino Hotel, Beantown Builders, Solar Alliance
- Best for: full-service web development projects
- Services: SEO, digital advertising, social media, eCommerce, content marketing, website design and development
Known as a reputable SEO agency, WebFX is also a great solution for web development projects.
This combination can be its competitive advantage as WebFX can design a website with SEO in mind, increasing your digital presence effectively. It’s also possible to order digital marketing services, such as content and social media marketing.
Try WebFX’s web design calculator to estimate your project’s cost.
6. AMP Agency
- Key clients: Microsoft Game Studios, Xbox, Fandango
- Best for: full-service digital projects
- Services: brand ecosystem management, creative campaigns, public relations, paid search or social, web development, marketing automation
Headquartered in Boston, AMP agency has offices in New York, Los Angeles, Seattle, and Austin. This company has successfully run many different projects, such as brand localization for a fashion company and a brand makeover for consumer electronics.
Additionally, this agency has gained multiple awards, like the Audience Honor from Shorty Awards and four mentions from Hatch Awards in 2021.
- Key clients: Harvard Wealth Strategy & Management, The Shulman Law Group, Ez Sleep
- Best for: small business owners
- Services: website design, SEO, PPC, email marketing
SmartSites ranks first on G2 as the best web developer and has been named one of America’s fastest-growing private companies for four years consecutively by Inc. 5000.
This company can build a website using the most popular platforms, including WordPress and BigCommerce. SmartSites also offers related web development services, such as SEO and paid advertising.
- Key clients: Optimate, BinFreem, Femmepats
- Best for: small businesses
- Services: web development and design
With many five-star reviews on TrustPilot, G2, and Clutch, The Free Website Guys is the highest-rated web development company worldwide.
Its free website program is one of the reasons why this agency is popular. It asks business owners to fill out a questionnaire, chooses several applicants, and helps create their sites.
The free web design and development services generally offer simple and common functionality for business and personal websites. Pick the paid offer if you want to build a more advanced website and get additional services like maintenance and optimization.
- Key clients: Stoneacre, Tipalti, Kargo
- Best for: small businesses
- Services: mobile app and web app development, custom software development, content management
- Cost: $15–25/hour
Capital Numbers is one of the top-rated web development firms by Clutch. The company is headquartered in India and has offices in Australia, the US, and the UK.
Its full-fledged development team has extensive technical expertise in different fields. For example, Capital Numbers equips its mobile app developers with various programming languages.
Consider trying its one-week free trial if you have a long-term project and want to test the service quality.
- Key clients: MasterClass, Tony Robbins, Snoop Dogg
- Best for: medium-sized companies
- Services: web and mobile development, machine learning, project management, quality assurance
Rootstrap is among one-stop mobile and web solutions with its various services. It has helped many globally recognized companies achieve their goals.
For instance, Rootstrap doubled MasterClass’s revenue by developing new features on the website and helped WalletJoy gain 25% visitor retention in a few months.
Furthermore, this agency has gained many awards, including America’s Fastest-Growing Companies by Financial Times and the Top Global B2B Service Providers by Clutch 1000.
11. Net Guru
- Key clients: Keller Williams, Volkswagen, OLX Motors Europe
- Best for: small to medium-sized businesses
- Services: web and mobile app development, branding, illustrations, UX writing, machine learning, cloud technology
- Cost: $60-100/hour
Net Guru can be a perfect option if you’re looking for a web and mobile app development company with complete web developer certification and a wide range of services.
It’s a Certified B corporation and compliant with ISO requirements. This top web development agency offers diverse digital product development services, from mobile and web apps to personal assistant robots.
12. Integral Vision
- Key clients: Hungarian National Museum, Ludwig Museum, Honismeret
- Best for: companies in the arts and culture industry wanting Drupal development
- Services: web development and design
Although Integral Vision has worked with businesses in various fields, most of its portfolio and awards are from the art and culture industries. It collaborates with many museums and learning centers across Europe.
This agency specializes in Drupal development, as it thinks that the CMS has the best-structured data engine, a compelling content modeling solution, and social media integration.
13. Urban Insight
- Key clients: American Library Association, Gilcrease Museum of Art, The Broad Museum
- Best for: arts and education industries
- Services: content and web development, SEO
Established in 1997, Urban Insight has completed over 500 projects from various fields. However, most of its clients are from the higher education, arts, legal aid services, and urban planning sectors.
In 2019 and 2020, Clutch ranked it the first in Los Angeles and in the top ten in the United States among web design agencies.
- Key clients: North Side Veterinary Hospital, Watts Dental, Marcel Orthodontics
- Best for: medical clinics
- Services: web development, social media marketing, email marketing, content creation, SEO
Doctor Multimedia is one of the top website development companies for the medical industry. It’s compliant with HIPAA and ADA, national standards to protect sensitive patient health information and people with disabilities.
As this company has been working with medical clinics since 2010, its portfolio mostly includes pharmacy, plastic surgery, and psychology websites.
Apart from building websites, Doctor Multimedia also provides other services like reputation management, local SEO, and veterinary infographics creation.
15. Once Upon a Time
- Key clients: Jean-Georges Restaurant, Sixty Hotels, Disney
- Best for: hospitality and entertainment sectors
- Services: branding, web development, SEO, email marketing, social media
Once Upon a Time Hospitality is a music, media, sports, and hospitality specialist agency. It delivers full-service solutions, from digital branding to collectible music box sets and sports management.
This agency has multiple offices in London, New York, Las Vegas, and Santa Barbara. In 2022, the company was on the Best English Startups list and a POPAI award nomination.
- Key clients: National Fish and Wildlife Foundation, American Red Cross, Save the Children
- Best for: nonprofits and government organizations
- Services: web design, SEO, content creation
Web Development Group (WDG) has helped its clients build traffic-worthy and engaging sites. For example, it increased the unique page views of a non-profit organization’s website from 1.85 million to 14.5 million.
This agency can help you with a web development project in WordPress and Drupal. If you need a more complex website, the WDG team has an established experience with popular integrations, like Microsoft Dynamics and Salesforce.
- Key clients: WWF, UK Trauma Council, and ReLondon
- Best for: nonprofits, social enterprises
- Services: web development, content management, digital marketing
Although Hertech has a wide range of clients, it mainly focuses on the third sector – organizations that are neither public nor private, like voluntary and community organizations. That’s why this agency values empathy and inclusivity when working together.
As a female-led agency, Hertech often works with female business owners to redesign or create custom websites.
- Key clients: Rolling Stone, Google Web Stories, Variety
- Best for: enterprise publishers and media companies, SaaS and tech businesses
- Services: web design and development, CMS migrations, theme and plugin development
- Cost: $150–199/hour with a minimum project size of $50,000
XWP is one of Australia’s best web development firms, especially for the media industry. It has worked with major publishing and media companies, like Cowgirl and Rolling Stone, helping them migrate their online data, expand their audience, and optimize their websites.
Besides offering development services, XWP provides maintenance and support to boost website performance continuously.
19. Agent Image
- Key clients: Aaron Kirman, The Oppenheim Group, The Altman Brothers
- Best for: real estate industry
- Services: website development, digital marketing
Agent Image specializes in real estate web development, excellent for agents and brokers to increase their business. It knows the industry terms and technologies, such as IDX integration, to allow real estate professionals to add the Multiple Listing Service (MLS) database on their websites and display the most recent property listings.
The agency provides three service plans: AgentPro for a basic website design, Semi-Custom with a personalized homepage, and ImagineStudio for complete customization options.
20. Luxury Lloyd
- Key clients: Crow’s Hall, Vertis Aviation, Aston Martin
- Best for: luxury brands
- Services: branding, web development, content production
- Cost: starting at $7,000/web project.
Luxury Lloyd is one of the best web development solutions for high-end brands. The small marketing and web development team consists of luxury brand specialists with years of experience in the industry.
Its pricing depends on various factors, such as the site’s purpose and brand assets. For example, a simple business website starts from $7,000, and customers need to pay more if they want to request logo design or photography services.
- Key clients: Lavendaire, Murae Jewelry, Harley Jayne Studio
- Best for: female entrepreneurs
- Services: website development, branding
- Cost: starting at $2,200/project
MARA’s work values beauty, calm, and simplicity. It often works with female-owned businesses and content creators for branding, website design, and creating collateral items.
This service provider has several pricing options, depending on clients’ projects and estimated time. MARA also offers an a la carte session to design social templates or graphics.
22. Display Care
- Key clients: Pulse Assist, SDA I-Saint, Spring Flats
- Best for: brands wanting to develop an inclusive website
- Services: custom web applications, web design
Display Care specializes in developing websites for people with disabilities. This web development agency will implement accessibility in its projects, such as UX UI, application or web design, and usability testing.
Its business website itself shows this specialty with the accessibility adjustment tool. With this feature, users can clear flashes, modify the font, and optimize the website for screen readers.
- Key clients: UNICEF, Oxfam, LSE
- Best for: environmentally friendly brands
- Services: digital strategy consulting, digital sustainability, web development
Wholegrain Digital can be your go-to choice if you’re looking for web development agencies with sustainable practices.
It promotes green web design by calculating all projects’ approximate energy consumption and carbon footprint and using energy-efficient servers. As a member of 1% for the Planet, Wholegrain Digital will donate one percent of its annual sales to non-profits focused on the environment.
This London-based development company also integrates the practices in daily life, such as minimizing printing, using organic printed goods, and providing staff with free access to the city’s public bicycle hire.
24. Human Made
- Key clients: 99.co, Red Bull Media, Tokai University
- Best for: enterprises looking for an ethical WordPress agency
- Services: WordPress development, website migration, performance audits
Human Made is one of the key contributors to WordPress, dedicating at least five percent of its resources to developing the open-source platform.
This WordPress development company encourages human rights when dealing with business partners and employees. As it values inclusivity and transparency, the agency often works with brands that promote the same vision.
- Key clients: Google, Nike, Mailchimp
- Best for: brands looking for a purpose-driven development agency
- Services: content production, brand development, web development and design
Hook’s services range from creating brand guidelines to experiential websites and product-focused campaigns, an excellent option for a one-stop web development agency.
Additionally, the team, including the CEO and web designers, actively promotes its values and gives back to communities. For example, the creative department provides mentorship to marginalized students, and its design director writes for Advertising Week about supporting LGBTQIA+ teams.
Hook also adopts salary transparency laws by publishing the web developer’s salary on the website.
- Key clients: Eastern Market, Adidas, Australian Ballet
- Best for: brands needing a web development firm with extensive visual production
- Services: cinematography, photography, art direction, web development
Einwick is the web design company behind Black Star Pastry, one of the best eCommerce websites. It specializes in video content and digital design.
The team offers a full suite of production and website development services, including video production, motion graphics, and CGI visualizations. It has delivered award-winning content for clients across industries, like fashion, architecture, and hospitality.
- Key clients: Patagonia, PlayStation, H&M
- Best for: companies wanting a full-stack web development firm with advanced web technologies.
- Services: web and mobile app development, content governance, influencer marketing, data, and intelligence
Dept is a perfect choice if you search for a web development company with the Metaverse practice. This marketing and technology company has helped various businesses integrate advanced technology into their sector, including financial services, agriculture, and retail.
Dept can apply a 3D virtual technique, blockchain technology, and augmented reality to your digital products.
- Key clients: Premier Jets, Johnson & Johnson, MJH Life Sciences
- Best for: companies looking for an agency with advanced technology
- Services: custom software development, advanced tech, infrastructure, security and compliance
Fingent is a great solution if you’re looking for a web development company with technical expertise in high technology, like machine learning and robotic process automation.
Additionally, this company has gained many awards from Clutch and GoodFirms. In 2022, Fingent entered The Inc. 5000 list of America’s Fastest Growing Private Companies.
- Key clients: Encyclopaedia Britannica, SugarCRM, Snap-On
- Best for: medium-sized companies wanting advanced technology
- Services: big data and data science, IoT, machine learning, chatbots, UI/UX design
Headquartered in the US, Intetics has offices in other countries, such as the UK and Germany. The company’s team also has an outstanding web developer resume – many have a master’s degree, and others own professional certificates, such as Java and Microsoft.
This custom software development company can build projects using digital transformation technologies like the Internet of Things (IoT), blockchain, and artificial intelligence. It also creates a unique set of techniques and tools named TETRA™ to assess its products and reduce technical debt.
- Key clients: Dolce & Gabbana, Royal Salute, Vogue Italia
- Best for: high-end and bold brands wanting out-of-the-box design
- Services: website and mobile app development, virtual and augmented reality, 3D and motion graphics
Monogrid is one of the web development agencies delivering interactive and unexpected visuals, helping brands stand out from the crowd. It uses technology to create immersive user experiences, including virtual and augmented reality filters.
Besides working with well-known brands, Monogrid has won several awards, such as the Agency of the Year from the Digital Design Award and the FWA of the Day from the FWA Awards.
31. Tubik Studio
- Key clients: uMake, Huawei, Bennett Tea
- Best for: brands wanting websites or mobile apps with stylish illustrations
- Services: website and mobile app development, branding, motion, illustrations
Tubik Studio mainly specializes in web design and mobile UI/UX but also enjoys doing interface animations and graphical design.
This Ukraine-based agency regularly gets recognition from design platforms and global design competitions, such as The Webby Awards and Behance.
- Key clients: eSky.com, Smartum, Takamol
- Best for: brands looking for custom software solutions
- Services: web design, cloud engineering, mobile and custom software development
- Cost: $80-100/hour with a minimum project size of $5000
The Software House is a perfect option for companies that rely on technology for their business growth. It has helped clients in various industries with product design and development, DevOps, and cloud computing.
For instance, this custom software development company assisted a travel site in building booking engines and increased 53% of new user registrations by redesigning the Saudi marketplace.
33. One Up Studio
- Key clients: Brunello Cucinelli, Foscarini, Fornasetti
- Best for: brands wanting unique and interactive websites
- Services: web development and design, graphic design, digital marketing
One Up Studio has produced many award-winning websites. One of the clients, Agostinetto Wine, and the agency’s official website received multiple recognitions from Awwwards and CSSDesignAwards.
Although many of its portfolios are Italian brands, this Italy-based digital studio provides services for international clients.
- Key clients: Krispy Kreme, Southwest Airlines, Fox Sports
- Best for: businesses needing in-person meetings with the agency
- Services: web and mobile app development
Brainvire has won multiple awards, including the Deloitte Fast 500 and the Best eCommerce Development Company by GoodFirms.co. It also has offices across regions like Canada, Saudi Arabia, and Singapore.
This company has worked with various industries, including retail and real estate. Brainvire also creates tools to simplify its web or app development process, like a machine learning-based automation tool and customizable CRM for eCommerce businesses.
Besides remote services, Brainvire offers onsite, nearshore, and hybrid collaborations to work closely with your team.
- Key clients: Accenture, MIT, PerformanceIN
- Best for: companies looking for a reputable WordPress development agency
- Services: WordPress development and migration, digital marketing
Multidots is one of the leading WordPress development companies worldwide. It has built a solid client base and has been active on WordCamp as an organizer, sponsor, and speaker. In 2022, this agency was on the 560th Inc. 5000 list as America’s Fastest-Growing Private Companies.
In addition to creating custom websites with WordPress, Multidots offers migration from the existing site in Drupal, Joomla, Sitecore, and Django to WordPress.
- Key clients: Volkswagen, MADARA Cosmetics, Armed Angels
- Best for: small businesses looking for a Magento expert
- Services: Magento development, migration to Magento, branding, digital marketing
Magebit is among the go-to Magento development companies as it has multiple Magento and Magento 2 certifications, from front-end to cloud web developers. This web agency is also an official partner of Amazon Web Services, Google Analytics, and Google Ads.
Outside the UK, it has offices in the US and Latvia with clients from over 25 countries.
- Key clients: University of Arizona, John Dau Foundation, Trinity University
- Best for: enterprise clients wanting to build Drupal sites
- Services: Drupal web development and support, digital marketing, branding
ImageX has delivered awesome Drupal websites since 2001 and has won many awards, including Drupal Splash Awards and Indigo Design Awards. Although ImageX often works with higher education and non-profit institutions, it also has multiple commercial customers.
This website development firm provides full services, from brand identity guidelines to copywriting and ongoing quality assurance.
38. Storm Brain
- Key clients: The HIV Institute, University of California San Diego, Belmont Park
- Best for: eCommerce businesses
- Services: branding, content production, web development, digital marketing
Storm Brain is an all-in-one place for developing online stores. Besides creating websites, this web development company also helps businesses with online marketing strategies, like email marketing and social media.
In 2022, the agency won the National and Local Excellence from Upcity Excellence Award.
- Key clients: Royal Gems, Electros, Electron
- Best for: brands who want to build an online store with a specific CMS
- Services: eCommerce web and app development
Webvolty is one of the best eCommerce development firms. Its portfolio has a wide range of projects with different CMS software, including PrestaShop and BigCommerce, and back-end development expertise with Ruby on Rails and PHP.
This agency also gets almost-perfect scores on review platforms, like TrustPilot and GoodFirms, and won the Prestashop Best Theme Award in 2020.
- Key clients: Mollie, Frans Hals Museum, Vitra
- Best for: companies who want to build or redesign eCommerce websites
- Services: eCommerce development
Build in Amsterdam is among the top web development companies for building online stores. This agency often comes up with great ideas to help clients deliver smooth shopping experiences and strong impressions.
For instance, it developed a chair finder for the furniture brand Vitra and combined modern and classic art for Frans Hals Museum. These examples even led this agency to get the Site of the Day from Awwwards.
In this article, we have covered the 40 best web development companies worldwide. As there are many options, ensure you pick the one suitable for your needs, industry, and company size.
If you want to create an online store, look for a company specializing in eCommerce development and ensure it uses your preferred CMS. Alternatively, opt for a full-service agency to outsource web development and digital marketing services in one place.
Moreover, consider choosing top web development companies with previous clients in your field as it helps build a website with industry standards. For example, business owners in the healthcare sector can work with Doctor Multimedia.
Another tip is to work with a web development agency with the same value as yours. For instance, due to its sustainable practices, Wholegrain Digital is perfect for environmentally friendly businesses, while a female-owned agency like MARA can be an ideal option for companies promoting women empowerment.
We hope this article has helped you find the best web development company for your business.
Web Development Companies FAQ
In this section, we will answer the most common questions when searching for web development agencies.
How Many Types of Web Development Companies Are Available Out There?
Two main types of web development companies are those focussing on web development only and the ones providing supplementary services, including digital marketing and branding strategy. You can also categorize web development companies based on their specialties, hourly rates, and minimum project sizes.
Why Should I Hire a Web Development Company?
Nowadays, creating a website is easier by using a drag-and-drop builder and a professional hosting service. You can also join free online coding courses to learn customization methods.
However, hiring a website development agency can be a better idea because the team has the necessary skills to build unique, SEO-friendly websites within deadlines. Alternatively, hire a freelance website developer for a more affordable and flexible option.
What Questions Should I Ask Before Hiring a Web Development Company?
Before hiring an agency, check out its web developer portfolio and previous clients’ experiences. Ensure the typical project duration, collaboration models, and pricing rates match your needs, then include them on the web development proposal to make sure both parties are on the same page.
How Much Does It Cost to Hire a Web Development Company?
Similar to a website cost, a website development agency’s price may vary depending on the project complexity and the agency’s reputation. Generally, development companies charge from $1,000 for a simple business site to $100,000 or more for a custom online store.