In this guide, you will learn how to use IP Blocker feature on your cPanel. This feature will allow you to block an IP address or a range of IP addresses to prevent them from accessing your site. You can also enter a fully qualified domain name, and the IP Blocker will attempt to resolve it to an IP address for you. This feature is extremely useful when you want to block the access to your website from an unwanted user or a domain name.
What you’ll need
Before you begin this guide you’ll need the following:
- Access to your cPanel account.
- An IP address or a domain name that you want to block.
Step 1 — Accessing your cPanel and locating IP Blocker feature
- Access your cPanel using your login credentials. Afterwards, you will need to find the IP Blocker feature, which is located under Security section.
Step 2 — Blocking an IP address or a domain name
You can specify IP addresses in the following formats:
- Single IP Address – this format will block a single IP address.
- Range – this format will block a specified range of IP address from accessing your website.
- Implied Range – this format will block a specified range of IP addresses from accessing your website, this is an alternative format to the format above.
- CIDR Format – this format will block a specific subnet of the IP address.
- An implied IP address format implies IP address of 192..., where each represents a positive whole number. If you enter 192., the system blocks the access from any IP address that begins with 192.
To block an IP address or a domain name, simply input the IP address (192.168.0.5 for example) or a domain name, and press the Add button. Afterwards you will see a confirmation window.
Press Go Back button that will take you back to the previous window.
Now you will see that the IP address is in your Currently-Blocked IP Addresses list.
Now you are able to deny access to your site to users from specific IP addresses or even ranges of IP addresses. Now that you are familiar with blocking the access to your website from a specific IP address you may want to
block the access to your website for everyone except you.